Do you think your sales team is connecting (i.e., maximizing revenue) with all the advisors in their territory? They might tell you they are but read on.
I’m very intuitive, said the wholesaler of a major asset management firm. Excellent, we should get along very well, I replied.
I was talking with a wholesaler who wanted to learn more about one of our behavioral solutions, Communication DNA.
The wholesaler’s goal was straightforward: Show me a solution that decreases the amount of time it takes me to get to know an advisor so trust can be built immediately.
The wholesaler was skeptical about what I was saying so we decided to do a test. We had been talking for 30-minutes (about the same amount of time you talk with an advisor) when the wholesaler suggested to me that he could already tell exactly what “type” of personality I was.
Game on, I said.
OK, here’s what I’ve gathered so far about you in the first 30-minutes:
- Very sociable and enjoys people
- Likes to take the lead
So what did I miss? asked the wholesaler.
Just a few pieces of critical information that most sales people miss about me (and why they lose the sale):
- I can be very fun but turn into a “driven, goal-oriented” individual, especially under stress. Do you think an advisor’s job contains any elements of stress? As a wholesaler, you could keep going down the fun path when I have taken a sharp right turn. If you are not with me, I may smile and act like I am listening, but I have totally disengaged.
- Getting me to make a decision: Tell me stories about how you have helped others like me. Don’t try any other “closing technique.”
- Trusting you? I am loyal beyond belief. But you need to prove yourself from both a competency level and people skills in equal amounts.
- The amount of detail: Don’t confuse me with the facts. High- level first or I will not even listen or worse yet, cut you off. I will let you know how much and when I need details so follow my lead.
Now the wholesaler was ready to listen: How could I possibly get all this behavioral intelligence before an advisor even decides to do business with me?
You don’t have much time to create a good impression and to get an advisor to trust you. Find out how to become a behaviorally smart wholesaler. Your business success depends on it.