Is it Time to Change the Sales Approach?

5 thoughts on how this can be achieved.

What does it mean to sell? The dictionary defines it thus:

To persuade someone to accept, convince someone of the merits of, talk someone into, bring someone round to, win someone over to, get acceptance for, win approval for, get support for, get across.

This definition begs the question ? how do you know the best way to convince, persuade, talk someone into etc. if you dont know in advance of the first meeting their preferred communication style?

In his article for Top Sales World, B2B Sales:Empowered Customers Require, Bob Apollo of Inflexion-Point writes:

Challenge or opportunity?

DNA Behavior, Behavioral Marketing, Sales BehaviorIf youre responsible for a B2B sales and marketing organization, you can look at this situation as either a challenge or an opportunity. But one thing is certain: todays empowered customers need and expect to deal with empowered sales people.

 

Simply telling the prospect what they could have – and probably already have – learned over the web adds nothing to the discussion. So its little wonder that Forrester found that B2B customers regarded 7 out of 8 discussions with sales people as having no useful value.

 

Many of the old-school sales people who regarded empowered customers as a threat have probably been flushed out of the system, and those that remain are unlikely to have rosy career prospects.

What does an understanding of communication and behavioral style offer in terms of increasing the power to sell?

  1. It enables you to uncover the customers requirement far more quickly and successfully if you are able to mirror their communication style and engage with them
  2. You will use the time you have with the customer more efficiently if you understand how they wish to be communicated with
  3. You will be on the same page as your customers when having conversations? Research shows that sales and service teams will only naturally engage 40% of customers. Understanding communication and behavioral styles will close the “Relationship Gap” with the other 60%?
  4. It will allow you to effectively communicate the impact of your solution or offering to the customer in a way that engages them into the process.
  5. It empowers you to deliver a behaviorally smart approach to engaging with your customers and will differentiate you from the majority of your competition.

Takeaways

You will eliminate time wasting road blocks in the selling process and likely have not only a higher success rate but also customers who continue to do business with you in the long term AND refer you on.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Carol Pocklington is a Human Behavior Solutions Analyst at DNA Behavior, assisting with the research and development of behavioral products. DNA Behavior helps grow behaviorally smart businesses and financial advisors worldwide to increase competitive advantage using the most reliable behavioral discovery and performance development systems on cutting-edge technology platforms. Solutions are delivered in the areas of client experience management, financial personality management and human capital management.

Visit the Financial DNA website to learn more.

Carol Pocklington

Carol Pocklington

Carol Pocklington - Chief Insights Accelerator

Carol is a Human Performance Accelerator. She has worked with Hugh Massie since 2001 since the Financial DNA understanding concept was conceived. She works with people and businesses worldwide. Her real-world application of behavioural insights, gives her the capability to serve as a business strategist, coach, mentor, and trainer. She is also a prolific blogger, a public speaker and author, specializing in human behavioural insights.


Carol's DNA Natural Behavior Style is - Facilitator


Carol is a Facilitator. Facilitators are persistent, goal-oriented people who promote team effort in order to complete tasks. Facilitators lead by setting examples and by achieving goals. Their strong work ethic encourages others to excel and they have an excellent ability to deal calmly yet firmly with people using a facilitative style.

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!